Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Feelings

I feel bad things (sadness, anger, hopelessness, frustration) for little to no reason and when I do these feelings linger. Because the feelings linger it causes me to think things that are harmful to think. For many these feelings can lead to worse feelings of guilt and inferiority.

Often we do have legitimate things to cause us to feel certain ways but we can't shake the feelings thus we entertain the damaging thoughts. But so what if that means we are immature? Aren't we all immature? I sometimes don't feel the way I want to feel and I can't/won't change it. If we are thinking "What is wrong with me?" or "What is so and so thinking about me?" or "I'm so mad at whoever for whatever reason" then the fact is that we aren't resting in Christ.

"If our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things" (1 John 3:20). Jesus Himself said "From within, out of a man's heart, come evil thoughts" (Mark 7:21). We must remember that love thinks no evil, love has hope in all things. When scripture says "love believes all things" we know that believes means trusts. We can rightly say that "love entrusts all things to God."
"My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (Psalm 73:26).

Our feelings, our condemning hearts, lead us to fretting, to basking in misery, sorrow, and shame.
"Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; Do not fret—it only causes harm" (Psalm 37:7-8).

If God doesn't take the feelings away that just means that we need to stay close to Him even more, that we need to rely on Him more to comfort us and keep us from entertaining destructive thoughts. God wants us to be in relationship with Him more and more. He will do what it takes to make it happen. Perhaps He will even use our feelings to show us our  weaknesses and continual need for Him.
"Seek the Lord and His strength; Seek His face continually" (1 Chronicles 16:11).
"God will always give what is right to His people who cry to Him night and day, and He will not be slow to answer them" (Luke 18:7).

Freedom is a growing reality. Freedom is being in a relationship with God. These 6 verses give us pathways to greater freedom.
Trust in God at all times! Pour out your hearts before him! (Psalm 62:8)
Do not worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell your requests to God, and thank him for all he has done. (Philippians 4:6)
The joy of the Lord is your strength (Nehemiah 8:10)
May I never forget the good things God does for me. (Psalm 103:2)
Be still, and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10)
Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. (James 4:8)

Yes bad things happen to us and things bother us. I must ask, Are we exalting those things we hate because we spend more time thinking about them than we think about God? May we always remember the goodness of our Lord!

We know that for those who love God all things work together for good. (Romans 8:28)

The Lord is your constant source of stability; he abundantly provides safety and great wisdom. (Isaiah 33:6)

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10).

When you pass through the waters, I am with you; when you pass through the streams, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not harm you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your deliverer. (Isaiah 43:2-3)

I have experienced times of need and times of abundance. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of contentment, whether I go satisfied or hungry, have plenty or nothing. I am able to do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:12-13)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment