Friday, April 6, 2012

What Happened to Christians on the Cross and at Salvation

Every Christian knows what happened to Jesus on the cross, but not every Christian knows what happened to them. Because of this they’re striving to become someone they already are and they’re fighting to obtain something they already have.

1. What did I lose at the cross?
    My Old self, my sinful nature (Rms 6:6)
    All my sin (Ps 103:12)
    Any need for punishment or fear of punishment from God (1 Jn 4:18)
    My inability to please God (Rm 8:8)
    Any relationship I might have had with the law (Rm 7:6)
2. What did I retain after the cross?
    My physical body (Rm 8:23)
    Most of my way of thinking (Romans 12:2, Eph 4:23)
3. What did I gain after the cross?
    Peace with God (2 Cor 5:19, Col 1:20)
    Complete forgiveness (Col 2:13)
    God's acceptance (Eph 1:6)
    A relationship with God the Father and the Son (1 Jn 3:1)
    My New self, a God-born living spirit (2 Cor 5:17)
    His life: Christ is my life (Col 3:4)
    His Spirit (Rom 8:11)
    His righteousness (Rms 1:17)
    His holiness (1 Cor 1:3)
    His eternal perfection (Heb 10:4)
    The ability to stand on Christ's trustworthiness (Gal 2:20)
    The ability to think the thoughts of His mind (1 Cor 2:16)
    The ability to approach God with confidence knowing His favor for me (Heb 4:16).
    New desires and aspirations (Gal 5:18)
    The full rights of sonship (Gal 3:26)
    Everything I need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3, Php 4:19)
    Every spiritual blessing (Ephesians 1:3)

The instant you were born again, God did an amazing work in your life. He gave you a glorious new past and a completely new life. He changed just about everything there is to change about you. But one thing God left unchanged was your mind, your way of thinking. Only you can change that.

Given that there is one part of you that did not change at the cross, what do you think is the key to living the victorious life that God wants you to live? That’s right, you need to change the way you think.

Everything we need pertaining to life and godliness comes through our knowledge of Him who called us (2 Pet 1:13). If you want to see breakthrough in your life, look to Jesus, look to the cross, and change the way you think:  “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind…” (Rm 12:2a)

Now repeat after me: “On the cross I died and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the trustworthiness of the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me.” This is the glorious beginning of your new story!


This post is my summary of a post by Paul Ellis titled Your Glorious New Past

No comments:

Post a Comment